Happy Spring! Many people use this time of year to shake out rugs, deep clean windows, and switch seasonal items.
As you go through your spring cleaning routine, take some extra time in each area to remove clutter that you no longer need. It will make cleaning in the future easier and it will make your spring cleaning efforts more noticeable.
Below are some tips to help you spot clutter while you are doing normal spring cleaning tasks.
As you deep clean your windows and take down your blinds or curtains for cleaning, look for these common forms of clutter to remove:
- Faded sun catchers
- Window sill decorations that are faded or no longer suit your style
- Dead plants
- Curtains or blinds that are faded or torn or otherwise looking past their prime
As you are taking your rugs out to shake off and air out, look for signs of the following:
- Rips or tears
Fix the issue if you can or retire the worn-out rug.
Before putting away your winter clothes, go through them piece by piece and pull out items:
- That no longer are your style
- That didn’t fit
- That have stains or tears that cannot be repaired
Tips Moving Forward
- When you put your spring clothes in your closet, turn your hangers backward. After you wear an item you can put it back in the closet with a hanger facing the correct direction. This way at the end of the season you will easily be able to see what you wore and what you didn’t wear.
- Keep a small donation bag or box in your closet so that if you find an article of clothing that doesn’t fit or that you no longer want to wear you can immediately add it to your donation bag. Take the bag to the donation center as soon as it is filled up.
As you wipe down your walls and dust off your pictures and decorations, make use of the time you are spending on each item individually and ask yourself:
- Do I still love this?
- Does this fit my style?
- Is this still in good condition?
Tips for the Whole Process
- Don’t return something after cleaning a space simply because it has always been there. Take time to evaluate your belongings and remove the things that don’t serve a purpose.
- If you come across something you didn’t even remember that you had, there is a good chance it is clutter that you can remove.
- Before replacing anything you decide to remove, give yourself time to enjoy your space without the item. You might decide that you can simply do without instead of buying something new.
Have you started your spring cleaning? Did you come across any clutter that you were able to remove?